View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
I think this bears posting:

Those were the save percentages of the opposing netminders in Ottawa's four first-round exits from 1999 to 2004 (Hasek, Cujo x2, Belfour). While those Senators teams definitely disappointed, they also had some horrifically bad luck when it came to the goalies they ended up facing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
You call it bad luck. But Ottawa had a rep as a soft, skilled team at the time. And it seems likely that teams that could be forced into a perimeter game in the playoffs would have a low shooting percentage
I think you're both onto something. I mean, remember that first Ottawa-Buffalo game, where Ottawa outshot them 41-15 but lost 2-1 because of Hasek? Then, in the very next game, Ottawa goes to Rhodes instead of Tugnutt (and gets a good performance out of him), but Hasek stops 45 of 47 enroute to a 3-2 double overtime win to make the series 2-0. A demoralized Ottawa team goes to Buffalo looking to at least make a series of it, and Hasek posts a 31 save shutout to make it a 3-0 series... And seriously, it still took a 40 save effort from Hasek to close out the sweep with a 1 goal game 4 win. Perimeter shots or not, worse teams have turned similar chances into more goals in my viewing experience, so it's hard for me to claim that either of you is necessarily off base.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote