View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 11:45 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I think you're both onto something. I mean, remember that first Ottawa-Buffalo game, where Ottawa outshot them 41-15 but lost 2-1 because of Hasek? Then, in the very next game, Ottawa goes to Rhodes instead of Tugnutt (and gets a good performance out of him), but Hasek stops 45 of 47 enroute to a 3-2 double overtime win to make the series 2-0. A demoralized Ottawa team goes to Buffalo looking to at least make a series of it, and Hasek posts a 31 save shutout to make it a 3-0 series... And seriously, it still took a 40 save effort from Hasek to close out the sweep with a 1 goal game 4 win. Perimeter shots or not, worse teams have turned similar chances into more goals in my viewing experience, so it's hard for me to claim that either of you is necessarily off base.
I agree 100%.

They faced hot goaltenders, but they made those goaltenders hot to some extent. The truth, in my mind, is almost perfectly in between both of their positions. Ottawa often seemed to be carrying the play against the Leafs. I often felt after a close game, that they were "lucky" to win. I think if you replay 2002 and 2004 a hundred times apiece, Ottawa takes them each 80 times.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote