View Single Post
Old
11-24-2012, 05:58 AM
Theokritos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
My impression of the European domestic leagues is all secondhand knowledge, so if you have firsthand knowledge, I'll take your word on it.
If you compare the world championship to the Stanley Cup playoffs in terms of what it means to the participants and observers, then the respective comparison to the domestic league play is the NHL regular season, not some kind of exhibition or preparation schedule. The Stanley Cup means everything, but does that make the regular season games meaningless or almost meaningless? No. Same in Europe. The comparison is probably not 100% accurate, but it's much closer to reality than the exhibition comparison.

Quote:
I do know that the Soviet domestic league was set up to benefit the national team as much as possible, rather than be a competitive league on its own, so I do think we need to take that into account.
True, but "glorified exhibition schedule" is too much account. Teams like Dinamo Moscow, Spartak and Krylja Sovetov certainly didn't just give an exhibition game attempt against CSKA and against each other.

Quote:
6 championships in a row for the army team does show a lack of competitiveness than existed in North America. I know that Jihlava had a reputation for being stacked well through the 1970s
No doubt. I'm just asking for more differentiation. The Czechoslovak League was more competitive than the Soviet League. BTW other european leagues were also less competitive than the NHL and that's not because authorities intervened: just imagine the NHL without the entry draft (and of course without a salary cap) and with promotion and relegation and you get the picture. No one cares for parity.

Quote:
and that Vladimir Martinec and Milan Novy both put put better stats playing on Jihlava than with other teams.
Huh? Martinec only played one season on Jihlava, Nový two seasons. Please tell me about the improved stats.

Quote:
By the way, earlier someone asked me why I said Holecek won 6 domestic titles. I was getting my info from Joe Pelletier's Greatest Hockey Legends, but I don't like citing that site for specific facts. Joe (and Patrick Houda who writes the bios of European players) are bloggers pulling from multiple sources, and they do a great job at telling the big picture story. But I wasn't sure about using them to cite specific facts.

But chidlovski seems to confirm that Holecek did, in fact, win 6 domestic titles, 3 of them for the stacked army team (Jihlava), 3 of them for Sparta Prague:
Unfortunately the sources you name are wrong here. Holeček never played for Jihlava. He did play for Sparta Prague, but they didn't win a championship during that period. Neither did Holeček's former team Košice win anything.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote