View Single Post
Old
11-24-2012, 03:54 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanf View Post
My doubts about Holecek concerns the national team. Itīs really too harsh say that he was product of CSSR team play but was he really the key player of IMO underrated CSSR team that time?
Based on the perception of people who watched them play, RW Vladimir Martinec was the star of the Czechoslovak National Team. I'm basing this off WC All Star voting, Golden Stick voting and All-Time lists of Czech experts. Posted in the defensemen project that Czech experts consider Jan Suchy (mostly before Holecek's time), Vladimir Martinec (Holecek's contemporary), Jaromir Jagr, and Dominik Hasek their four best players of all time.

That said, based on the awards both domestic and international, the perception would seem to be that Holecek and then defenseman Frantisek Pospisil were right behind Martinec.

But consider this:

•Sawchuk was never the best player on his team
•Plante was only the best player on his team after he left Montreal
•Hall was behind Bobby Hull and probably Mikita
•Was Tretiak ever the best player on his team? He played behind Kharlamov, Petrov, and Mikhailov both domestically and internationally, then got Maltsev and Vasiliev added to the National Team. In the 80s, those names were replaced by Fetisov, Makarov, and the rest of the Green Unit, again both internationally and domestically.

I think it's certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that Tretiak had a better team in front of him than Holecek. The Czechs were a very good team, but the Soviets were a great team. It would certainly be a double standard to punish Holecek for not being the clear cut best player in Czechoslovakia when Tretiak (who was added already) certainly wasn't the clear cut best Soviet

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 11-24-2012 at 04:01 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote