View Single Post
Old
11-24-2012, 03:37 PM
BubbaBoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
How you figure? I don't know that much about Espo, but I grew up idolizing Jordan (I know, I know, I'm such a unique and delicate flower) and going off reports of Phil's play from here, I don't really see many grounds for comparison. Jordan was always the best player on his team and had a much better all-around game than anything I've seen credited to Esposito.

MJ doesn't really have an NHL comparable. Messier/Roy were equally likely to murder you if it got them another title, but he was better than either for longer. He was a Gretzky-like ambassador and sport-grower, but Wayne's absurd peak aligns him more with someone like Chamberlain, and Gretzky loses points for the lack of team success post-Edmonton.

Honestly, Jordan is a Frankenstein of the things I said combined with Lemiux's era-adjusted offense.
Espo won the goal scoring title 6 seasons in a row, the most by any player, I thought it might of echoed Jordan's 7 in a row, (although he also had 11 total).....maybe Bobby Hull (4 in a row / 7 total plus another in the WHA) with would be a better comparison?

On a purely statistical basis Gretzky in total points (7 in a row / 11 total) would be ideal but Jordan was pretty damn good defensively and could be physical when need be.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote