View Single Post
Old
11-24-2012, 03:50 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

vCash: 500
The players didnt make out better than anyone could've dreamed of in the last cba - they made out exactly as expected looking at the linkage numbers. Which was about 10-15 percentage points less than they were previously getting - a huge loss.

The fact that revenues grew so much might have been hard to believe for those who really believed that linkage was to save the owners in case revenues tanked and that such a demonstration of the truth of the nhls propaganda would finally be imminent when the owners were no longer forced to raise ticket prices to meet the players ever spiraling demands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I posted this in the lockout thread, but thought maybe it deserved it's own thread.

I was looking at some comparisons between the "Original Bettman Lockout" (1994-95), and this year's lockout. I came across some interesting numbers:

Average NHL Ticket Price in 1994-95: $33.49
Average NHL Ticket Price in 2011/12: $57.10
Difference: 70% increase in ticket cost over 17 years.

Average NHL Player Salary in 1994/95: $572,000 (this is the FULL-SEASON-prorated figure to reflect actual games played. Players in reality earned less than this, due to the shortened schedule)
Average NHL Player Salary in 2011-12: $2,450,000
Difference: 425% increase in average player salaries over 17 years.

Interesting numbers. This shouldn't paint a full picture of anything, I'm just putting them out there. Feel free to interpret these however you want.

Dissect at your own leisure.
There really doesnt seem much to dissect there. If you actually had access to good data, there would be far more interesting hypotheses to advance with it.

On the surface, it seems that mean salaries grew far faster than average ticket prices. We arent exactly sure what average ticket prices represents. Are $250,000 suites at ACC considered ticket prices?

Looking at salaries, it might be informative to see the difference in growth between mean and median salary, pre-cap and post. Since 2005, the mean salary appears to have increased far faster than the median which suggests much more salary equalization between top and bottom. The kind of disparity changes the occupy movement seeks for a better society. Amongst the teams themselves though, the opposite seems to have occurred.

Perhaps one other thing we might take from the general concept of these suspect context numbers is that it is no longer correct to consider the nhl a gate driven league since gate accounts for less than 50% of total revenues now.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote