View Single Post
Old
11-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Stu Macher

vCash: 500
I liked Natalie Portman in Black Swan, but felt it was a bit more uneven than some of the others (even though I know her instability is a major part of the movie). Although I have some problems, the scene where she calls her mom to tell her she got the part alone takes away any real negative energy I'd have towards the decision. That is such a great moment from her.

I did appreciate Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone way more seeing it again after these other films of hers. In 2010, I had no idea who she was, so for all I knew, it was one of those times when the filmmakers found a non-actor to just "be themselves". Now it makes me think of Emily Watson in Breaking the Waves, somebody who came out of nowhere and gave this gut wrenching performance, and eventually we learn they're nothing like that character.

I'm not putting Lawrence in Winter's Bone in quite the same pantheon as Watson in Breaking the Waves, which I think is one of the very greatest performances I've ever seen. But it is so fantastic in its own right.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote