View Single Post
Old
11-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I'm not discrediting Barkov or anything. I'd love to have him with the Habs as well. I was just making a case for Drouin, because it seems people tend to overlook him because of his size so-called issues (really, he's on his way to become a 5'11'' 185+ lbs player, what's wrong with that?) and the fact that he's not a premier defensive forward. The fact remains that MacKinnon, who's been touted as the next big thing for a while, has a much weaker PPG than Drouin.

My personal opinion on drafting high is that you go for the talent. Mainly the offensive talent, since it's the hardest to find. Drouin is just that. a boatload of offensive talent that is unrivaled in this draft class. I think he has the highest ceiling as well. He may or may not translate well to the NHL, but the same can be said about any non-generational talent. Barkov, MacKinnon, Monahan or anyone else in this draft class are not a generational talents.
Don't get me wrong, Drouin is a very exciting talent and the more I see him the more I'm convinced his size won't hurt him too much, but I think the likes of Barkov and MacKinnon have just as much offensive skill, which is why things like defense and size become factors to me. Barkov might be a slightly worse dangler than Drouin but it's very close if you ever watch one of Barkov's shootout goals. If he uses it less in game it's because he's so smart and strong he doesn't have to.

Drouin actually reminds me of another Finn, Granlund, one of my favourite prospects in recent years who I'm also convinced will overcome his size issues. And Barkov is better than Granlund.

Here's another example of Barkov's strength, skill and underrated speed in action for those who haven't seen it yet. He's the one in the gold helmet.