View Single Post
Old
11-25-2012, 12:55 AM
SB164

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Daniel Day Lewis. How good is he in Lincoln ? It seems sometimes all he has to do is show up and people rave about him. He almost seems beyond scrutiny. I think he gives a fine performance in Lincoln, but I'm not sure that it is one of the five best of the year. Why is that a great performance, rather than just a good performance?
There's quite a few films I have to watch over the holiday season, namely Lincoln and The Master. From all the reviews that I've read though, Joaquin Phoenix's performance just sounds so volatile, so unique, and most importantly, unpredictable (James Dean comes to mind when thinking of an actor who was utterly unpredictable on-screen. Ironically, River Phoenix was once compared to Dean.)

In short, it seems as though Phoenix poured his absolute heart and guts out for that film, making himself vulnerable in the process. It seems as though he made that role entirely his and only his (much like Daniel-Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood actually). Is that an accurate enough judgement of Joaquin Phoenix's performance?

Whereas on the other hand (and I may be criticized for saying this) an actor such as Liam Neeson could've likely portrayed Abraham Lincoln as well as Daniel-Day Lewis and we'd all politely give him a round of applause because of his fine performance of a larger-than-life figure.

Just to note though, I may be completely off-base here because I've yet to see either film and I'm only speculating.

Last edited by SB164: 11-25-2012 at 01:00 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote