View Single Post
Old
11-25-2012, 02:17 AM
  #44
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
On what facts are you basing this? Support your argument. Prove him wrong.

Although I suppose if the numbers favoured Grabovski you'd claim small sample size.
The Kessel line is just fine offensively, and I seriously doubt Grabo of all players would be what's needed to "fix" the line defensively. If people want to change the Kessel line, to presumably produce better, shouldn't the burden of proof be on them? We all know how the Lupul-Bozak-Kessel line has done offensively since they've been together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
True that advanced stats can't be looked at as absolute indications of play, but they do give context from which observations can be made. Grabo has routinely produced at a second-line level against higher competition, which not only means he's scoring against more skilled opponents, but also keeping the puck off their sticks and in their defensive zone. His possession stats are great. Look 'em up.
What's this magical possession stat you speak of? The Grabo line has produced at a 2nd line pace against better offensive (worse defensive) forwards they've been facing for the past two seasons. Assuming that their production would increase when they're matched up against worse offensive, but better defensive forwards is a stretch, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Nit picky. Nothing to say about how his production during his so-called hot streak helped put the team in a playoff position in February for the first time in what seems like 5 years.
Addressed this in previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Doesn't help that one-third of his usual line was an offensive black hole last season. And don't give me that crap about how he should have been able to get Kulemin back on track. Those of us watching the games and not the stats sheets saw how many glorious opportunities Kulemin flubbed on. Yet Grabovski still maintained an almost exact points-per-game pace as his previous season.
Here comes the predictable watching the games vs score sheet argument, from people who are using fundamentally flawed "advanced metrics" to prove a point. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Seems like you're blaming Grabo for not saving our season in March/April ("when it counts"). Almost EVERYONE's production tailed off after the trade deadline. That's typically what you see when there's a big losing streak.
And where was he for the start of the season? Oh, nevermind, that's pretty typical of Grabo, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Hockey is a game of highs and lows. Only the truly elite maintain their consistency throughout an entire season. That's why we see so few 1.0 PPG players. If you want to continue to berate Grabovski for not producing when the team was in its biggest tailspin in a decade, that's your prerogative. But it's best you apply that standard to every player, since there's a lot of blame to go around. Otherwise it just seems you're being overly harsh to prove a point.
Had you actually read the posts, you'd realize that it's not just about the end of season collapse. But hey, if you want to use the January stretch to convince yourself that Grabo is an elite player, and he should be a no-brainer choice for #1C going forward, go right ahead.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote