View Single Post
Old
11-25-2012, 03:22 AM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I find it absolutely laughable that you claim McDonagh is miles behind Staal defensively. At best, they're both a wash, with the edge to McDonagh with his dominant skating stride.

And for your last point, I give you this:

Is Staal even out there? During dying moments of a one goal lead in game 7?

Looks like Torts trusts the inferior McDonagh in this pressure situation.
I agree with this and disagree that McD gets pushed around at all. He's stronger than Staal. Staal gets more highlight reel hits but McD is stronger on his skates and in front of the net. McD is also a couple inches shorter than Staal but about 20lbs heavier... and still much faster. And I'm pretty sure I would go with McD in the final 30 seconds of a game... not that you could go wrong either way. I agree they're pretty much a wash. Staalsie could have a slight edge for now, but it won't be long. McD is going to be our best defensive d-man and put up 35-40 points a year, hopefully for a long, long time. He's a rare(r) and special(er ) defenseman, unlike anyone we've developed, even Marc Staal and, personally, I think he's going to be a guy whose top 10 in Norris voting annually from here on out and may even be a finalist at some point in his career.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote