View Single Post
Old
11-25-2012, 03:57 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
Haven't we reached a point where we're past penalizing a player for concussions? I mean, this is the Age of Concussions now. Everyone is getting them now, a result of the game being too fast and every check looking more and more like a car crash.

I think, 'should have kept his head up' is a little out-dated with the league the way it is now. I personally find it tough to critique a Crosby or a Toews or a Bergeron for concussions like I once did with a Lindros, all things considered.
Except if he has his head up he doesn't get nailed by Steckel, that's all.

Again, I will reiterate he is not being penalized for having injuries but rather just not rewarded for lost time. When you start nickel and diming with part seasons and PPG then you aren't looking at what he DID but what he MAY have done. Even if he probably does. A better player also equals a healthier one who is contributing to his team and not in the press box.

My take is that we have yet to see a season from Crosby that can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that he was superior to Trottier's best season. We're talking about a season (1979) where Trottier has 134 points, outpoints Dionne, Lafleur and Bossy wins the Hart and Art Ross and was +76. Crosby's best season so far is either 2007 or 2010. In 2007 he gets 120 points and outpoints Thornton and Lecavalier so you can't really say his top end talent was any harder. In 2010 he led the NHL in goals, was 2nd in points with 109 and lost to Henrik Sedin in the scoring race. He is 3rd in Hart voting. I don't know about you, but where are we talking about where Crosby is clearly better? I personally would have a hard time finding a season where he matches Trottier in 1979 and Sid is losing a prime year of his career right now that could prove us wrong.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote