Thread: Prospect Info: Morgan Rielly discussion thread.
View Single Post
Old
11-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I agree with a majority of your post but one thing stood out to me here.. You said Rielly is in as good of shape as anyone in the NHL.. I think this is a bit of a stretch.. His size isn't up to par with the NHL level to begin with.. He needs to get bigger.. But another thing is that just because he's playing 30 minutes against kids that are 19 and younger.. Doesn't prove that he's ready for the full NHL grind. The guy just came off a very serious knee injury and he needs time to get back. I think he still needs to gain and put on some serious size before we consider the NHL. It's his strength I'm more worried about and the grind of NHL hockey.. It's just not comparable to the WHL because they aren't full grown men who are hitting him or going after him.. These are kids his size and his age.. Big difference there and that's the curve that he's going to have to get over.
6'0'' 205 pounds His size really isn't the issue since he weighs more than Kris Letang in that department. (And I'm sure many others too, I just used Letang as a reference because of the comparison.) For an offensive dman he is the right size for the NHL, he doesn't need to get bigger especially if it ends up inhibiting his speed like it did for others. However, Rielly's stength (which is actually near the top his draft class) is only a problem because he doesn't use that strength to his advantage physically. I think the only real problem keeping him from the NHL is the long season of hockey that he wasn't familiar with last year. It's hard to put a kid in that situation when he didn't even play a full season of hockey last year.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote