View Single Post
Old
11-25-2012, 10:39 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Again, did you even watch Backstrom play 2010-11? Ovy was carrying the offense while nearly his entire team dropped off. Add in the Ovechkins 10 points in 9 games compared to Backstroms 2 and it's not even close. Watching the lightning series that year, Ovy was the only cap to even bother showing up.

09-10? Ovechkin again easily, Backstrom doesn't touch 100 points w/o Ovechkin, he was flat out dominant that season.

Last year was the only year Backstrom ever took the lead over Ovy.

This, saying he was better then Ovy is saying Backstrom was a top-3 player in the game, which is completely false.
Again you guys are solely looking at point totals. Yes, Ovechkin is definitely the more electrifying/exciting player. But Backstrom controls the game. Ovechkin needs someone to get him the puck to be successful (at least he has the last few years, which is what I think really has cost his scoring). Whereas Backstrom doesn't need to play with someone that can pass the puck to him. Almost every single shift you see Backstrom carry the puck into the offensive zone and create offense for himself/teammates. I think he controls m the game about 90% of the time and I prefer his playing style to Ovechkin's.

It's like the old Crosby/Ovechkin debate, before Crosby started scoring alot of goals too (not saying Backstroms as good as Crosby but Backstrom had a similar playing style to the 05-09 Crosby IMO)