View Single Post
Old
11-25-2012, 11:45 AM
ddawg1950

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
No one is advocating a Luongo for Kadri straight up trade. Other pieces would have to come from TO. My contention is that he should be _included_ in any deal with TO. That's it.

His attitude, fitness, size, defense, work ethic have all been questioned. Over and over again in fact. Yet from the moment he stepped onto AHL ice he's been PPG~. 41 points in 44 games. 40 points in 48 games. And now 15 in 16. Further, he elevates his game in the playoffs. So as a _prospect_, he's done nothing but excel at his niche through all the criticism.

Definitely. He's a gamble. Kadri can rise to the occasion or utterly fail and become a journeyman/AHL allstar. It's a risk. However, if included in a _package_ deal, his risk is mitigated by the other pieces involved.

Contrast this with taking Lupul, who has worn out his welcome with 3 NHL clubs by the age of 27. If the low end with Lupul is that you have to trade him as a salary dump, sending a player like Gardiner in tow to make it happen, why not instead take the chance on a Kadri? You don't have to give a Lupul level contract right away. Instead, you can find out what he can do and cut your losses _before_ it goes south. On the whole, it just makes too much sense not to do IMO.

Note: This assumes a trade with TO and a choice between a package involving Lupul or Kadri.
Good point, and I do think the kid has talent. But attitude always raises a red flag for me.