View Single Post
Old
11-25-2012, 11:30 AM
WTFMAN99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
That's a very accurate analysis.

As a Flyers fan, I think the increased responsibility will be the single greatest factor in an increase in production next season. As with most big, power forwards, JVR is very much a player who needs to "get into his groove" in order to be effective. If he is not in his groove-- he is invisible. If he is in his groove-- he is a dominant player.

With JVR, when he creates one chance for himself, you can expect for him to create chance after chance after chance. Playing 15 minutes or less per night, he rarely had the opportunity to get into this groove, though, in Philly. What he should benefit most from is stability in Toronto. He will be guaranteed a top six spot, and should see consistency in his ice time night after night.

I was convinced JVR would enjoy a break out season last year with the departure of Richards and Carter, but the resurgence of Hartnell, the chemistry between Jagr/Giroux, and JVR's injuries all impacted JVR's production in one way or another. Many fans soured on him, but the talent was obviously still there. The situation in Philly was just not conducive to the breakout of JVR.

Ultimately, I dont think Toronto fans should worry about JVR being provided quality linemates. He's a player that makes things happen for himself when he is on his game. He doesnt need a great playmaker to set him up or a good shooter for him to clean up rebounds. His game is predicated on his confidence. He has the size and strength to drive to the net, but he has the talent and finesse to create opportunities for himself in other ways. It all comes down to his confidence on the ice. If he thinks he's the best player on the ice, he will be. He just needs to be in a situation where he he has that confidence at all times.
Thanks for that insight, very informative along with the OPs stats he provided.

WTFMAN99 is online now   Reply With Quote