View Single Post
Old
11-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
I disagree with his view. The NHL is not doing this to the fans, they are doing what they need to do to survive financially. In fact, they are doing this FOR the fans - without significant changes, many teams people cheer for will not exist.

Fans who are offended, make me shake my head. Be offended at the players - every one of them is making good money. They are driven by greed, 18 NHL teams are driven by survival.
With a significant stoppage, many fans that keep vulnerable teams afloat at all may disappear.

We can't forget that there are inevitably more "superfans" in Toronto and Montreal because following those teams is a big cultural thing there. Even if the superfan is disillusioned by the lockout, cultural and interpersonal factors can bring that fan back.

The superfan in Nashville doesn't have that same pull back to the game, and neither does the casual fan. If you don't follow the Preds there, it doesn't mean anything to anyone. They're more vulnerable to push/pull type factors like lockouts (pushing away) and other local teams getting good (pulling away).

It doesn't matter what CBA anybody gets if there's almost nobody to watch the game in some cities.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote