Old
11-25-2012, 03:28 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
The MLB was typically getting 40 million viewers on average during World Series games in the early 80s.

Most recently I believe they averaged less than 15 million. That's with a population increase of over 100 million.

Adding on to that, baseball's audience skews terribly to the 50+ demo.

Not a system to follow, at all. They've been three steps behind for years now, from lacking a salary cap to being foolish enough to not implement instant replay, to not exploring ways to speed the game up.
NHL median age is 44, NFL 45 and MLB 50 if I remember correctly. All sports leagues are skewing poorly.

There's no doubt baseball is becoming more regional but it's a different business model than it was in the 1980's. I remember watching baseball in the 1980's, it was hard to get baseball games all through the year, you basically had to rely on the national TV games, so the World Series was a huge deal regardless of who was in it. Now, I can watch every game my team plays quite easily, and the goes for any fan of any team. If you're in market they're all available and out of market MLB.TV is a huge money maker and IMO an elite product. I'm a huge fan but I don't really care about national games anymore. I watch the Braves games on my PS3 or computer through MLB.tv.

Baseball has probably done better with their online property than any other sport, which helps with younger demographics.

People are saying baseball has failed to grasp what was happening, I actually disagree. I'd say they realized where they were headed on a national level and took steps to become more relevant regionally and have a bigger footprint on the internet, where they were far ahead of any of the other major sports here.

Right now attendance is good, regional TV money is great, online money is great and even the national TV money is strong.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote