View Single Post
Old
11-25-2012, 04:56 PM
kihei

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Wendy and Lucy - 9/10

I loved Meek's Cutoff so I wanted to watch Reichardt's earlier movies. Like Meek's Cutoff, Wendy and Lucy moves along very slowly and although it doesn't like as nice, it is every bit as well done. I am not sure this movie is for everybody. There is no action, witty dialouge, suspense, or any real laughs. It is just a look in time at a woman stuck in a strange town trying to get her car to work but more importantly trying to find her dog. It might sound kind of dull but it was a pleasure to watch.

I would say that Michelle Williams gave a great acting performance but it didn't even seem like she was acting. She was so believable in every situation. I know in the Oscar thread, Jennifer Lawrence is getting a lot of love. There is no doubt she is amazing, but I think Williams is in a league of her own.

I guess I am going through Reichardt's films backwards but I now need to find Old Joy.
Haven't seen Old Joy, but I also really like Wendy and Lucy and Meek's Cutoff. Do you like the Dardenne brothers work as well? They could have almost directed Wendy and Lucy and Reichardt could have almost directed The Kid with a Bike. My favourite movie of theirs, one of my favourites, period, is L'Enfant, about a teenage father who sells his baby without telling the teenage mother. Definitely worth checking out the Belgians if you like Reichardt's work. With all due respect, I agree about Williams over Lawrence, though it's like comparing Federer and Nadal in their prime--just awfully damn close, but really gifted either way.