View Single Post
Old
11-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Do you have the conference voting for the Norris from 1994-95 showing that he wasn't considered top-ten? Lidstrom was top-20 in defense scoring and served as a defensive lock for Coffey, who scored an insane 58 points in 45 games to win the Norris. Most of the guy ahead of Lidstrom were defensively average or liabilities; guys like Galley, Housley, Brown, Norton, Schneider, and Zalapski. But Coffey's scoring? That doesn't happen without Lidstrom as his partner. It was even debated by fans as to whether Coffey was even the best defenseman on the team. Lidstrom with a more defensively capable player would have scored another ~10 points, and likely been right in the thick of Norris voting.
Coffey gets banged around a lot on these boards (something I don't agree with) but I don't think even his sharpest critics think he deserved anything but the Norris in 1995. He was getting Hart votes then too. In 1996 he finished 5th in Norris voting and that's where it ends. I think if you look at Coffey's career you can basically say that his last hurrah was the 1996 World Cup where he played well. Then Detroit trades him to a poor team (Hartford) and it almost seemed as if that took the wind out of his sails. I guess he had nothing left in the tank. But either way in the mid 1990s he was Detroit's best defenseman no doubt.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote