Old
11-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Atas2000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
This reminds me of all those "In Soviet Russia, they..." jokes:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/in-soviet-russia

Except that for Říha, it's no joke, but reality. Apparently, in post-Soviet Russia, they fire you on the very evening your club climbs to the top of the KHL standings. I can't imagine any coach in the NHL being treated this way. That's 2 seasons in a row now that a top Russian hockey club fired a Czech coach with a winning record. (It also happened to Čada last year at Avangard.)

I hope Košice will join the KHL next season and Říha will be their coach. Both Čada and Říha have been highly successful coaches in Slovakia in the past, winning multiple Slovak Championships. (Except that it was in "reverse mode": Říha as Slovan coach, and Čada as Košice coach.)
1. The firing is very logical if you take in consideration the recent history of playoff failures by SKA. They don't care about 1st places in the regualr season. They will get into the playoffs with the lineup they have. They want some playoff success badly. Stats aren't everything. The style SKA played is just not the one to win in the playoffs. Too sloppy a defence. Too many mistakes. Too often they had to overcome deficits they created by their own lack of discipline. Just like in their last geme under Riha. Of course they have an offence every team would be happy about. It's just not enough in the playoffs.

2. As for Cada's case. You do know how it ended? Avangard went on to the finals.