View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 01:05 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIE RAY BLUES View Post
I'm happy to see the kid doing well but....It's really really hard to tell if any of it translates to the next level or beyond. I watched the highlights posted and it looks like a garage league or huff and puff for old men. No defense at all. Hell the points aren't even challenged when they get the puck. I hope he continues to progress but I'll get exited when he's taking a regular shift in the AHL. Till then not so much...
That's what junior hockey looks like. The Q is similar to the level of competition of the OHL and WHL.

Current Blues players who have developed through one of those leagues: Pietrangelo, Perron, Stewart, Langenbrunner, D'Agostini, Jackman, Russell, Nichol, Reaves, Grachev, and Halak. Perron, in particular, is a recent QMJHL product.

The number of goals scored per game in each league has been comparable for a few years now. Each league varies in their strengths, but as long as a player is not slow or tiny, production in Canadian major junior is a good indication of NHL potential.

MacKinnon and Drouin are pegged to be among the top few picks in this draft and are in the Q. In recent years, the Q has produced players such as Huberdeau, Couturier, Gormley, Kulikov, Demers, Voracek, Perron, Giroux, Marchand, Andrew MacDonald, Mathieu Perrault, Vlasic, Latendresse, Letang, and Crosby.

So, you're right in that it's hard to tell if it will translate to the next level, but that same difficulty applies to every player in major junior, for all time.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote