View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 12:55 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
We'll take 2 x Stanley Cup champion, Reg Hamilton, D

He played 10 seasons in the Original Six league, and was known for his toughness and physical play. He was said to have the meanest elbows until Gordie Howe took that away.

On my phone, so can somebody please PM the next GM?
You already know how thrilled I am to get Hamilton right now, but let me explain it to the rest of the league.

By the end of the MLD, any pre-expansion defenseman with any significant all-star or norris votes are gone. You're left judging them on quotes - but they all say they were solid, or tough, or stay at home guys, and it doesn't do much to distinguish them from one another. So what I have preferred to do is look at how long they lasted in this era, since jobs were tough to get and keep. It seems that 8-10 years is about the going rate for the best pre-expansion d-men in this draft. That's why I think Godfrey (11 years) is the runaway #1 of this class. Beyond that, I also look at context. How strong were the teams that the player lasted on? were they good teams, and/or were they deep on defense? That's why I think I like Kent Douglas the 2nd best in this draft. He got into a lot of O6 games, but would have played more if not for Toronto's depth.

But Hamilton just might be the 3rd. Because, not only did he play 10 seasons in the big league, but he did it for good, successful teams. Hamilton played 64 playoff games, which is the most for any defenseman in the AAA draft. In his 10 full seasons, the worst team he played on was one game below .500. His teams averaged 5 games over .500 over this time. Warren Godfrey, for example, in his 11 full years played for teams that averaged 3 games below .500 and played 52 playoff games in his career (the next-best mark in this draft)

As of 1967, Hamilton was 21st all-time in playoff games by a defenseman, with Godfrey (52, 38th) and Murray Henderson (41, 50th) pretty far behind, among players available heading into this.

I am shocked that he lasted this long, and not just because chaos was taking all the ATD2011 leftovers. We have seen him as the BDA since the Hardy pick. We both liked him over Hardy as an overall player, but we needed that pick to be tough enough to play with Lidster (which Hamilton was) but also with the offensive upside to play on the 2nd PP (which Hamilton lacked).

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote