View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 04:52 AM
muzion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I think there is a disconnect in our arguments. You get no argument from me that medicine has come a long way, but that's not what I've been addressing.

The ACL injury didn't concern me in regards to Galchenyuk before the draft. He essentially missed an entire year of playing and being on the ice, being in situations, working on his game, etc., etc., etc. In the grand scheme of things, that's like missing your junior year in HS and being expected to immediate re-join your peers in the next grade and excel (according to his draft position). Unless you're Sheldon Cooper, you're going to have to catch up and you're at an immediate disadvantage. That's my point to this.

By the looks of things, Galchenyuk seems to have overcome that and in a very short period of time. Good for him, but not completely unexpected. It is arguable that he was the cream of the crop in his 16 year old season and that the lost year let others catch up to him. Only time will tell how things play out, but he's looking very impressive.
Missing a full year of hockey does hamper development, but it's not a lost year, not even close considering he already had an elite skill set. He's shown he is a serious and dedicated player, thus didn't sit there doing nothing. He trained and studied the game hard so he wouldn't lose a step. Players from all sports say in interviews that time off from long injuries made them better players, because they watched more video, got to concentrate on the mental aspect of the game, and mention how it's a character builder. Teams nowadays have all these resources available for their players, meaning that losing a full year isn't that big of a deal as long as you have the right attitude, which Galchenyuk has.