View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Legionnaire11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
It really hasn't though. Look at the moves on their own. Nebraska to the Big Ten? I'd say that move has worked out fairly well for them. Texas A&M to the SEC is a little too young to judge, but has been a roaring success thus far. TCU and West Virginia to the Big XII have both shown promise. Missouri in the SEC has been a dud, and Utah and Colorado in the Pac-12 have really been invisible, but it's not like they're a national eyesore or anything.

I think the "realignment apocalypse" is overstated - the game will endure, it will simply have a different face. It will be chaotic, but this will inevitably settle down.

There are barely 40 objectively good teams in I-A football in a given year, there's no way there are enough teams to fill 124 slots in the B1G, SEC, Pac-12, and Big XII and maintain the current quality of those leagues. It would make them bloated and ugly.

An alliance of small states is better than an empire, because the empire has to administer the same amount of territory with a fraction of the resources. Eight leagues is a nice, round number, and if they're all between 10 and 16 teams, they're not too unwieldy.
same basic premise there, but you still don't fix the biggest flaw in NCAAF which is that not every team has a chance to win a National Championship. Forget that people argue about the validity of the champion in the current system, there is just no way that teams from "weaker" conferences have a chance to win a title. Look at Boise and TCU for proof of that. I'm not saying that if you put New Mexico State in the PAC that they will have a realistic chance at being successful and capturing a championship, but at least the opportunity is there if bizarro world takes over.

Otherwise, if you limit it to 8 conferences, you have to expand to an 8 team playoff between the 8 conference winners. If that doesn't happen, then we're actually taking away any hope at all for the smaller schools.