View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Did you just miss the last draft where we took Griffin Reinhart, Ville Pokka and Adam Pelech? As well as 4 other defensemen. Not to mention guys like Donovan, deHaan, Kichton, Russo, Mayfield, Pedan, etc. clogging up our system.

If we are sitting at pick 6 or 7 and decide to take a guy like Ristolainen, I'll be fine with it because he'd warrant being picked in that area. But if we are picking earlier than that and pass on guys like Lindholm and Drouin and Monahan for a guy like Ristolainen, that would just completely confuse me.

This team has no reason to be drafting for "need" at this point.
I think the cool thing is that you're pretty right in stating that there is no direct need at the moment. The team's prospect cupboard is fairly stocked up front and on the blueline. They'll already be facing a number of decisions in the next few summers.

Man, it's very refreshing just to write that.

They can truly just grab whoever they really, really like (as if they don't do that anyway:-)) and boy does this top 12-18 look like a great group.

Quote:
The only true "need" I can see would be at goaltender, considering after Nilsson and Poulin we basically have nothing. However, unless we pick towards the end of the 1st round, there really isn't a goalie that would warrant being taken with our first pick.
At the moment, Fucale seems to be the only goalie who'd go within the top 20. Dunno if this team would actually grab a goalie in round 1 whatsoever. I guess much of that would definitely have to do with how Nilsson and Poulin present themselves in the course of this season, much less whether they truly see Koskinen as ever being a real NHL option (and looking at what he does in Finland, I'd have to think he still has at least good back-up potential - just a matter of when).

In general though, if I had to gander at this point, the chances are fairly good that they'd add another goalie at some juncture in the draft.

If we're picking top 10, judging by the Islanders' tendencies in the Snow era, it'll likely be a forward, especially if a high-scoring winger who could look good with Tavares can be detected.

But the depth we currently have up front and on the blueline means this one is really wide open.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 11-26-2012 at 09:17 AM.