View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
The problem with what you want in return for Gaborik is that the only teams trading for Gabby with one year left on his contract are teams in win-now mode. Those teams are not going to part with key contributors to their team. Futures would be the only compensation. Valuable futures, but futures nontheless. If that doesn't work, keeping Gaborik is definitely an option...

I just don't see how you could re-sign him as well as Callahan, Boyle, Kreider, Girardi, Stralman and Lundqvist. Not to mention taking into account the raises that McDonagh, Stepan, Del Zotto and Hagelin will have warranted between that time and now. IMO, even if the Rangers decide to let Boyle and Stralman walk, there is no way they'll be able to re-sign Gaborik if he ends up wanting the same amount that he's making now(which he will).

I think the only way it can work is by letting Boyle and Stralman walk, and either letting Girardi walk or trading Staal. IMO it would make more sense to keep the rock-solid defense intact and move Gaborik, who's numbers could easily be replaced by an equally talented Nash and an up-and-coming star in Kreider. All while adding valuable pieces in the trading of Gaborik to keep you competitive for the long haul, while remaining competitive in the now. Just my two cents...
Keeping Gaborik really isn't an option, IMO. I know some people like to think there is some sort of magic cap calculation out there that will allow us to keep him, but it's not there. However, I don't think win-now teams are the only ones who would want Gaborik. I'd bet that a few teams who are just starting to turn it around would welcome the addition of a 40 goal scorer. I'm not expecting to exchange Gaborik for a 23 year old 30 goal scorer, I'd be looking to exchange him for a winger who can lay the body and forecheck a little better than Gabby while likely accounting for 50-60% of the production. No way to tell who will be available by the time the Rangers start shopping him.

The strength of this team is it's defense. I doubt we'll see any of them leave anytime soon. That includes Boyle. He's a great defensive forward.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote