View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
One thing that stands out when I watch Kichton is that he's not extremely fast, nor large...merely "good" in both categories and, for all those goal scoring numbers, his shot isn't fast. It's more deceptive than it actually can burn the goalie, which I'm not sure translates well for a defender in the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge
That's just it imo. When you watch him, nothing really jumps out at you. He's just a decent in all aspects, but not really master of any.
Thanks for the input!

I've got a bit of a question for you guys.

It seems like almost every year in recent times, the Islanders have taken an offensively-oriented junior Dman (often an overager) with a late round pick.

For example:
- Jared Spurgeon, 19, 6th rounder, Spokane 12-31-43 +36 his draft year 2008
- Tony DeHart, 20, 5th rounder, Oshawa 10-40-50 -23 his draft year
- Brenden Kichton, 19, 5th rounder, Spokane, 23-58-81 +55 his draft year 2011
- Jesse Graham, 18, 6th rounder, Niagara, 4-37-41 +25 his draft year 2012

Of them, Spurgeon has become an NHLer, Dehart an ECHLer, Kichton a very overage WHLer and Graham is in the midst of a personally difficult 3rd year with Niagara. Heck, in 2009 they also took a big unknown Russian kid in the 4th or 5th round named Klementyev and brought him over immediately (that expirement has quickly come to pass despite a few promising things his first season).

Anyhow, seeing as how you've probably seen both Spurgeon and Kichton in the course of time, how would you compare the two? Is Spurgeon simply much better? Is his making the NHL actually a bit of a surprise? Are they somewhat similar when all is said and done? Are they completely different?

Would you actually feel Kichton is the better of the two?

Do you think Kichton is worth an ELC?

Would appreciate any info if you should feel like responding.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote