View Single Post
11-26-2012, 01:12 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
I don't know about that. At least he was offensively relevant at even-strength in the 2001-02 playoffs (2 Goals, 6 Assists). That's more points at even-strength than he had in the 2007 and 2008 playoffs combined. I'd say that was his best combination season. 2007-08's regular season might be his best though (that or 1999-2000 or 2001-02, from my perception).
I didn't find Lidstrom's 2002 particularly noteworthy for him. Sort of a bland season on the obvious best team in the NHL, not as good defensively as after the lockout and not a special year offensively. Still the best defenceman in the NHL, but not all that noteworthy for a top five defenceman of all time. Lidstrom probably had more to give that year, but it wasn't needed given how strong the team was.

In the 2002 playoffs he was arguably less important than a hobbled Yzerman, on a team without a real standout player carrying the load. In 2007 Lidstrom was clearly Detroit's best player in the playoffs, but obviously he wasn't getting consideration for awards given where they finished. Lidstrom's 2008 playoffs are actually underrated, since people like to act as if Zetterberg single handedly carried Detroit and shut down Crosby. Lidstrom's defence was great in those playoffs.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote