View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 12:28 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I don't think it's a matter of deserving or not-deserving, but I definitely think that defensemen (and goalies for that matter) who are on teams with superstar forwards are at a major disadvantage when it comes to getting Hart recognition.
Probably true. It would be interesting to identify some all-time great defenseman seasons which didn't get Hart recognition and try to figure out why.

Still... Orr won three of them with Esposito. Coffey stole votes from peak-aged Gretzky, and had a high finish while on that all-time-great 1996 Wings team. Of course, Bourque nearly won it in 1990 with a peak-aged Neely on his team. Yes, it's hard to accomplish, but it has been accomplished before.

Lidstrom had Hart votes in 2000, 2001, and 2003... but not 2002. So it's hard for me to buy into this idea that he was simply being overshadowed by hype that went to his forwards. If he was good enough to have a high Hart finish, someone, anyone should have put his name on the ballot.

Quote:
There are also era trends in Hart voting - in the 1980s, you had defensemen like Langway and Howe finishing as Hart finalists - you just don't see that in the late 90s and 00s.
Pronger...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote