Thread: Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13
View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Only bottom-6 guy I'm really high on right now is Ferraro. He's got the chance to become a quality 3rd liner. Overall mostly trusted in the defensive situations, but good for a few big goals and offense on the PK. Aubry and Callahan are works in progress(as an NHL energy guy you have to be there every night).

Sheahan's NHL upside is definite but he needs more pro time before a fair assessment. His line has been good lately but Paré is the offensive catalyst. I'm still waiting for him to be more of a threat around the crease, overall I kinda doubt his offensive instincts at this point. Let's put it this way: I totally see why he wasn't a big scorer in college, but also see why he's projected to produce points. He could be one of those guys that makes a huge jump from one season to another.

I like to compare those four, because they're basically the same age. Ferraro, Sheahan, Aubry, Callahan is my firm ranking right now.
Agree, I have been very impressed with Ferraro this season. Nill compared Callahan to Dan Carcillo which really isn't fair given how early Carcillo was drafted compared to Callahan. I don't see enough Griffins games to have a good feel for Callahan I just see all sorts of caveats being made and with that being the case I have a tough time seeing him make it to the NHL. Especially once Aubry starts to fill out and play that same role. Now let's say Sheahan never develops the offensive touch and gets stuck on a 3rd of 4th line. Both Aubry and Sheahan are centers but those guys seem like much safer NHL players than Callahan and take up a couple bottom 6 roster spots that make the competition more difficult for Callahan. Abby is solid in that role although I could honestly take or leave him at this point, Helmer ain't going nowhere, and Ferraro looks like a solid bottom 6 winger. The Wings always have a plethora of competition for those bottom 6 spots.

If Callahan can somehow draw more penalties than he takes like Kirk Maltby and turn into a good PK'er then he would have a clear role. I don't think being a punching bag and putting his team on the PK and killing momentum is going to get him a ticket out of Grand Rapids.