View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 01:29 PM
danincanada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
You know what, I have been itching to say the same thing for a long time now but haven't because I knew how it would be received.
I too thought Yzerman was more important to the 2002 team than Lidstrom. Stevie seemed to will his team and his body to the Cup that year.
Don't get me wrong, I loved Yzerman and how he played in '02 despite playing on one leg but you are getting sentimental here. Yzerman played right wing on a line with Fedorov centering and Shanahan on left wing. Bowman did this because Fedorov was flying and did most of the "heavy lifting" in terms of covering the ice. As heroic as Yzerman was this is because Yzerman couldn't get around well enough on one leg to play centre or carry a line.

I never really cared who won the Conn Smythe when my team won because I was just happy to see them win. In hindsight though, I'm glad they didn't give it to Yzerman for sentimental reasons because he was not as good as Lidstrom was. Lidstrom played 10 more minutes per game than Yzerman on average and logged an incredible 52:03 in the triple OT game.

I think, based on play Fedorov would have been the second skater in line for the Smythe. Hasek and Yzerman were in the conversation but a little behind those two. All great performances of course.

danincanada is offline   Reply With Quote