View Single Post
11-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Just a Fool
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by danincanada View Post
Don't get me wrong, I loved Yzerman and how he played in '02 despite playing on one leg but you are getting sentimental here. Yzerman played right wing on a line with Fedorov centering and Shanahan on left wing. Bowman did this because Fedorov was flying and did most of the "heavy lifting" in terms of covering the ice. As heroic as Yzerman was this is because Yzerman couldn't get around well enough on one leg to play centre or carry a line.

I never really cared who won the Conn Smythe when my team won because I was just happy to see them win. In hindsight though, I'm glad they didn't give it to Yzerman for sentimental reasons because he was not as good as Lidstrom was. Lidstrom played 10 more minutes per game than Yzerman on average and logged an incredible 52:03 in the triple OT game.

I think, based on play Fedorov would have been the second skater in line for the Smythe. Hasek and Yzerman were in the conversation but a little behind those two. All great performances of course.
Yzerman still logged more SH time than Fedorov did that year and was all but unbeatable in the faceoff circle at almost 60% winning 9 more faceoff than Fedorov despite taking almost 60 less than him total.
And while 31 mins a game might be impressive, it pales in comparison to the minutes Bourque logged in his prime, especially in the playoffs.
Even as a 40 year old with the Av's, Bourque logged 28.5 mins a game in '01 and almost 30 in '00.
He logged a hell of a lot more than that in the late 80's/early 90's with the Bruins. Easily 40+ a night in non OT games.
I would watch Habs/Bruins series back then and it seemed like Bourque was always on the ice.
There was a game in the '92 Habs/Bruins series that I still have on VHS somewhere where they brought up minutes played so far in the game just before the 3rd period started and Bourque was already pushing 31 minutes. Crazy to say the least. The next closest was Desjardins for the Habs at 17.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote