View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 04:57 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
One group goes to university for several years,
There's no deep difference between OHL+AHL or 4 years of vocational school, what a B. Ed. basically is. It's just a different label attached to the same thing: job training. Teachers, engineers, doctors, etc get graduation ceremonies. Professional athletes get the draft.

I did spend five years of graduate school to prepare me to become a better scientist ... how is that different from years in the OHL, AHL, etc? It's not.

Quote:
The other group get paid while attending high school
I didn't know OHL players get paid a salary. I figured it was a stipend at best.

Thank you for the interesting tidbit. I am happy to hear they get a real salary. Do you know how much?

Quote:
is responsible for teaching the youth of the country.
There's no doubt that the entertainment industry as a whole (video games, movies, sports) play a huge role in socialization.

Quote:
they spend maybe 20 hours a week at the arena.
I don't know if you actually think being a pro athlete is a 20-hour-a-week job.

You remind me of someone who once told that being a university professor is a 10-hour-a-week job, because that's the total amount of time professors spend either in lectures or in office hours.

Do you actually believe that being Sidney Crosby or Travis Moen is a 20-hour-a-week job?