11-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one to have been inspired by fictional characters, not just as a writer, but as a person in general. Who are some of your fictitious inspirations?

Mine:
Kathryn Janeway in Voyager - Voyager ran from 1997 to 2003 I think, so it was THE TV show I watched from age 11-17. I liked that Janeway was the nerd captain, coming up through Starfleet as a science officer. I also liked her badassery. With Uhura, Yeoman Rand, Troi, Crusher, and the short lived arcs of Tasha Yar and Ro Laren, Star Trek was a little lacking in strong female characters. (Something Deep Space 9 also made up for with Jadzia Dax and Major Kira.)

Angel in Angel - One of the things that attracted me to, and still attracts me to Angel is that I liked that a protagonist didn't necessarily have to be a good guy.

Mal Reynolds in Firefly - Conversely, I like that a 'bad guy' could be a good person.

Kaywinnet Lee Frye and River Tam in Firefly - In addition to Kaylee's undeniable cuteness and River's intrigue, I liked that the smartest and most dangerous characters on the ship were also the smallest.

Claudia Donovan in Warehouse 13 - I like that Claudia is a blend of so many different things. Part nerd, part punk, part musician, I see a lot of myself in her.

As a writer I tend to favor characters that are unusual, taboo, or somewhat ambiguous in whether they're good or bad. (Which is probably why I hate action movies. Shia, Megan, you are just meatsacks to space out the robot fighting.)
Fictional? Hmmmm....

d'Artagnan, various Dumas - a man of honor, integrity, and loyalty to his friends and causes greater than himself. Also, good with the ladies and in a fight.

Sam Gribley, "My Side of the Mountain" - self-sufficient, finding his own way, courageous.

Josey Wales, "The Outlaw Josey Wales" - The soliloquy in the meeting with Ten Bears is some righteous stuff. A film I'll take time to watch in whole or in part if I come across it nearly every time.

I'm sure I could think of others. Head is filled with Robitussin... fuzzy thinking.