View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
I should clarify what I meant by stating "best teams that never won the Cup." I meant as the greatest assembly of talent at any given season that people think should have won the Cup. For all the hype that Lindros had coming in and the significant package of assets Philly gave up, that was a team that was supposed to eventual vie for a Stanley Cup. They did get close at one point, but that was it and I'd consider the Lindros era of the Flyers to be one of the most hyped teams and most disappointing due to their failure to deliver.

The record setting Detroit Red Wings in '96 are another terrific example of a team that was expected to carry over their regular season success into the playoffs, but that didn't end up happening until the Wings added Brendan Shanahan into the fold. Prior to '97, the Wings were considered the best team in the NHL for a number of years but were constantly upset in the post season (courtesy of New Jersey in '95 and San Jose in '94).

Of recent years, the 2007 Senators are a good example considering that they had the hottest line in the NHL with Spezza, Alfredsson and Heatley, but they ran into the brick wall that was the Anaheim Ducks with Pronger and Niedermayer on defense. The Sharks after acquiring Joe Thornton have had terrific regular season success but have in large part been a disappointment in the playoffs.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote