Thread: Speculation: Luongo thread continued...
View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
I have a feeling Burkes job will be safe. Just a hunch.

I don't share your optimism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
Time will tell if it was Allaire I still think The Monster will surprise people in Detroit and I am hoping at least one of our goalie prospects pan out to be a capable starter. Also you have completely missed my point on the "back up." it was more or less a shot at the absurd asking price of Jake Gardiner, JVR, etc. Ask leaf fans hell just go back to the countless posts made in these Lou threads we are more than comfortable without Lou if the asking price is that. Is Mike Gillis and Co happy with having a man who is making 10 million sitting on the bench? Because I have this feeling the owners are not thrilled having that kind of cash going to a guy who is not helping them.

Interesting, Mike Gillis is on the hot seat for developing an asset so well that it has rendered his star goalie tradeable. Salary or not. That's just not a great reason to be mad at one's GM don't you think?

Make no mistake, the spotlight is on Burke right now. Another failed season could see him unceremoniously removed from his post. That's something Gillis is an ocean away from. This two things are not alike I'm afraid.

Quote:
True we have a hole at goal but does Lou address this long term? As I have pointed out before will he be around when all of our young talent is ready to compete? I doubt he will which is why I am against giving up the hefty price of a guy like Gardiner or JVR for a goalie who is only a stop gap solution. I am tired of stop gap solutions for once I would like us to get a young goalie and let him develop.

Is 5-6 years long-term?

Everyone wants a young NHL starter level goalie. They just aren't there to be had, unless you think Bernier is one? If you do, perhaps he might be a better option for TO.

So Bernier, Thomas, and Bryzgalov. Plenty of options there.