Luongo thread continued...
View Single Post
11-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Join Date: Feb 2011
Originally Posted by
LiferLeafer, you asked this again in the last thread, so I thought I'd put together a small list for you. These goalies were dealt during the Cloutier's era in VAN. Based on this, I believe Burke has an A) Inability to _evaluate_ goaltending talent and B) Unwillingness to pay for it, should it be made available.
Here are the trades:
1) Phoenix traded rights to Nikolai Khabibulin and Stan Neckar to Tampa Bay for Paul Mara, Mike Johnson, Ruslan Zainullen and a pick in 2001.
- VAN could have made this trade as they had dealt D Adrian Aucoin and a pick to Tbay for Cloutier.
2) Chris Osgood - Waivers
- Self explanatory. He had 2 Stanley Cups to his name by this point.
3) Buffalo traded Dominik Hasek to Detroit for Slava Kozlov, a 2002 1st round pick and future considerations.
- An older goalie at this time, but still one of the elite talents in the league.
4) FA Dwayne Roloson.
- A goalie with longevity and ability. Easy acquisition here.
5) 16- San Jose traded Miikka Kiprussoff to Calgary for a 2nd round pick in 2005.
- He came out of nowhere I know, but it's a GMs job to keep tabs on the prospects of other teams. Maybe Burke could have even lucked into his "goalie of the future" actually becoming the goalie of the present.
6) March 8, 2006 : To Colorado Avalanche: Jose Theodore
To Montreal Canadiens : David Aebischer
- This one irks me. Theodore's talent is obvious. He was struggling in MTL at the time, and even two years prior. There was every reason to take a flyer on him 6-5-4 years ago.
7) Ottawa Senators traded Radek Bonk to the Los Angeles Kings for a 3rd round selection (Shawn Weller) in 2004 then the Kings traded Bonk to the Montreal Canadiens with Cristobal Huet for Mathieu Garon and a 3rd round selection (Paul Baier) in 2004.
- Again, an older player but still one that was trending upwards. Had 4 solid years in the league before injury did him in.
So there it is LL, your serve. And before you come back with comments like these not being established starters, neither was Cloutier before Burke gave him his chance. The real argument being that Burke couldn't identify strong candidates even when they were FA or on Waivers, let alone when they were given away.
I'll give you props on a couple, but i believe Hasek only wanted Detriot. And correct me if i"m wrong, but haven't most laughed at the idea of Burke bringing in less than elite goalies makes hin an idiot in TO but you are mad because he didn't jump on a goalie who was waived while in Van?.Bottom line is, Nucks fans will insult him if he doesn't sell the farm for Luongo and Leaf fans will applaud him if he doesn't.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Liferleafer