View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 07:42 PM
bwhinnen

vCash: 500
I started skating when I was 40, just under 12 months ago. I started the typical person holding onto the boards kind of shuffling around. Took some lessons and more ice time (as well as my own skates) and went from there. Now I am by no means a great skater, but do alright in the local C-grade summer league here. I try to hit the ice at least once or twice a week and rather than just concentrating on doing one thing the entire session I mix it up a little to make sure that I still do things I've already learnt and feel comfortable with as well as new things.

It comes down to confidence and trying and the time it takes is individual based on those two things. The more confidence you have the quicker you will learn and the more time you spend on the ice trying to do things will also speed that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
That's absolutely true and I hope the total-newbies here take it to heart.

It takes courage to start skating as an adult. You are going to be obviously, visibly bad at it for a while. Kids get a free pass for being wobbly and falling down all over the place, whereas adults need to have enough self-confidence and personal security to know that nobody's really judging them because everyone in the rink understands how hard it is to learn.

The upside is that you really do get a lot of respect from experienced players if you stick with it. Again, it takes a lot of courage to get out there and make the necessary mistakes and keep showing up and improving.
This is so true, and once I got over the fact that no one really cared when I fell over except myself it made things easier. Now that I know quite a few people at the rink, we laugh at/with each other when we fall trying new things and this helps to re-enforce the fact that no one really cares. All I do when I hear or see anyone fall, is to make sure they are ok.

A few things that have helped me in more recent times are wearing some hockey gear (shins, pants and elbows) when I skate so that I know if I fall I'm not going to hurt myself, this probably depends on the rink where you skate, but ours have no issues with us in 1/2 gear during a public session. The other is going to a larger ROH on my skates, funnily enough it has forced me to lean over and correctly place weight over my edges when doing turns, cross overs so as not to have the blade slide out etc and I found once I did this I improved in both ability and confidence quickly.

bwhinnen is offline   Reply With Quote