View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 07:42 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I think that you make some good points. There's a tendency among all fan bases to overrate their prospects. The only thing that makes Tanev unique, IMO, is the fact that he grew almost a foot around the year of the draft. Before he grew he was playing with the elite players but was forced to drop out because he was too small. I think that we can't apply the normal rules to him. If he can fill out and gain some strength then we could very well have a defensive gem. He's got the head for the game but needs to improve the physical element. Will he do it? Hard to say but I doubt that there is another prospect out there that we can compare him to. He has only been back to playing high level competitive hockey for the last few years.
Agreed - he's already an exception to the 'rules' as it is, the way he grew so much after he was passed over. Come to think of it, this team has quite a number of guys who beat the overwhelming odds to make it here - Burrows, Hansen, Tanev. A classic late bloomer, although the kind of poise and heady play he's already displaying at 22 years old suggests that there's even more room to grow. He's already so far ahead of the curve anyway for most D-men his age that it doesn't make sense to make such projections on him after only 64 games in the NHL.