View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Micklebot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
It's nice to rooting for your prospect team but it's better to keep things in perspective. As for the Guldhjalmen, yea it's great that he won it but not necessarily does it mean he will adjust to the NHL standards.
2012 - Jakob Silfverberg, Brynäs IF 21 years old
2011 - Magnus Johansson, Linköpings HC 37 years old
2010 - Mats Zuccarello Aasen, Modo Hockey 23 years old
2009 - Johan Davidsson, HV71 33 years old
2008 - Tony Mårtensson, Linköpings HC 28 years old
2007 - Fredrik Bremberg, Djurgårdens IF 34 years old
2006 - Andreas Karlsson, HV71 31 years old
2005 - Henrik Lundqvist, Frölunda HC 23 years old
2004 - Magnus Kahnberg, Västra Frölunda HC 24 years old
2003 - Niklas Andersson, Västra Frölunda HC 31 years old
2002 - Ulf Söderström, Färjestads BK 30 years old
2001 - Kristian Huselius, Västra Frölunda HC 22 years old
2000 - Rikard Franzén, AIK 36 years old

Those are the MVP for the last 10 years or so, only 3 has touched the NHL level, while one has proven to be consistent. That's none other than Lundqvist, Zuccarello is the other and no he wasn't as consistent. Huselius is the only one who has shown he can progressively increase his skill level however also sort of showed his unlucky injuries. Everyone else in that list...have done nothing. Only time will tell if he can adjust to it, I am rooting for the guy as I like him.

Also for the best wrister not in the NHL comment....yea no. I can name three easily that'll beat him out on the spot. Off the top of my head, Hall in the AHL atm, Tarasenko, and Yakupov in the KHL.
I added their approximate age when the won to add some perspective. It seems to me the guys who won MVP at a young age tend to show up in the NHL.

Also, of note, Zurccarello's issue was likely do to his size (or at least a contributing factor at 5'7), and as you mentioned, Huselius has been a victim of injuries (though still a solid career). So that leaves one MVP under 25 who was an NHL bust. I can't really speak to Kahnberg, as I know nothing that Hockey DB or Elite prospects didn't tell me about him, but my guess is he was never thought of as an elite NHL prospect.

The rest of the field is mostly guys over 30, and one 28 year old, so I'm not sure why you would list them to add perspective, other then to show that Silfverburg was among the youngest to ever reach that accomplishment (2nd actually).

Last edited by Micklebot: 11-26-2012 at 08:19 PM.