View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
You brought up how these players are a special breed, are the CEO's of big companies that fail really the best at what they do to be in that position, and get those bonuses they get? I understand, there are only a certain amount of people that can play hockey in the NHL on this planet, but are they any better than those CEOs that ran failed companies, etc.
Yeah a CEO who fails obviously wasn't worth the money but they weren't hired by people who figured they'd fail, the people who hired them figured they would succeed and then of course be worth the money. Hindsight is 20/20. That said, I still don't understand the connection between CEO's who fail and NHL salaries so I'm just going to move on.

Quote:
Mainly saying, people get paid more than they deserve. I wish teachers and public service members(police, fire, medics) got paid more than they do, but it just doesn't work that way.
As a blanket statement, I don't agree at all. For example, why should public service people be paid more? In the grand scheme of things, a large portion of the population are capable of being a police officers, medics, etc. The same goes for teachers, it's just doesn't take that unique of a skill set to be a teacher. NOW THAT BEING SAID, if the roles of those positions mentioned were altered in a way where they were held to a much higher standard and the barriers of entry were greater, then all bets are off. I definitely believe if you're a kick ass police officer or teacher, then yeah, you should be paid accordingly.

Quote:
My ire is directed towards the players because they took so long to start negotiating. It might have been a tactic that might help them, sure, but they still waited so long to get back to the negotiation table, knowing no hockey was a very high probability.
Totally agree!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote