View Single Post
Old
11-26-2012, 11:50 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
All I remember is vaguely reading it somewhere on either part 1 or 2 of this thread that USA was trying to recruit a big name young player from BC minor hockey. I swear I thought it was Barzal, but maybe I was going crazy.
It could have been my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Should be interesting to see what USA Hockey does, if anything, to attempt to court Jansen Harkins, the #2 overall pick (Prince George) in this year's WHL draft. His dad is Todd Harkins, an Ohio native that represented Team USA in two World Championships.
I can't see what path Jansen would even have to eligibility though. When the IIHF recently ruled William Nylander eligible for Sweden one interesting thing I did notice is that they quoted their new Statutes & Bylaws, which appear to have been implemented after the Stefan Matteau saga, in an apparent retroactive move to justify their lunacy.

Here's the rule that most commonly would apply:

Quote:
1.7 When a player has multiple citizenships where the relevant citizenships are for countries of Member National Associations and he has never represented any country in any IIHF championship or an Olympic competition or in qualifications to these competitions, then in order to play for the country of his choice he must

a) prove that he has participated on a consistent basis, for at least two consecutive years (730 days) after his 12th birthday in the national competitions of and be a legal resident in the country that he wishes to represent during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey for a team registered/located within any other country; and

b) if the country of his choice is one to which the player has transferred then he must have had an international transfer that was approved by the IIHF and dated at least two years (730 days) prior to his proposed participation.