View Single Post
Old
11-27-2012, 03:12 AM
blueandgoldguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Doubtful at best. This is the same wrong headed marketing strategy the Oil Kings employ. Fill the stands with unruly kids while the parents take the night off and let the kids do whatever they want.

I went to games as a kid. I got into hockey by playing the game as a youngster, watching it on tv and going to games. The WHA Oiler games were NOT marketed towards kids. People go to the games to watch the game, not to catch t shirts between plays or win perogy prize packs.

As far as the football entertainment goes, it should have been aimed at the target audience, most likely 18-50yr old males. So some kind of rock band and/or hot chick singer. Ask yourself how many 18-50yr old males want to see Lightfoot, Carly Rae, or Beiber? How about zero?
The people who were going to the Grey Cup game were going regardless of who the halftime entertainment was. Similarly, the people you mentioned (18 - 50 yr old males) are going to be watching the game regardless of who performs at halftime. If they don't like the halftime show, they will simply grab a beer and have some snacks like Replacement leaving the TV on anyways. Their enjoyment of the product doesn't really matter.

What matters to advertisers are appealing to as many demographics as possible (tweeners and young woman specifically) so they can expand their audience if only for a half hour...and it worked

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=410346

From the story:

The Sirius XM Grey Cup Half-Time Show delivered a 44 per cent increase in viewers compared to last year's halftime show, with an average audience of 6.1 million viewers tuning in for performances by Justin Bieber, Carly Rae Jepsen, Marianas Trench, and Gordon Lightfoot

Audiences also spiked across all demos during the Sirius XM Grey Cup Half-Time Show

The 6.1 million viewers was 600,000 above the average audience for the entire Grey Cup on TSN (5.5 million). They knew what they were doing. It worked out just fine.