View Single Post
Old
11-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I have a question about decertification. If the union does that, it would mean the NHL draft is illegal. Since Seth Jones is 18, could Katz go to Portland and offer them a chuck of cash to buy out Jones and sign him here?
Yes, I believe that in the case of decertification, there is no longer any "artificial" rules that exist between players and teams. Each team would be a separate entity expected to compete against the other 29 other teams with no restrictions. Contracts would still be in effect however. But there would be no draft, no restricted free agency, no qualifying offers, no compensation for RFAs, no RFAs, everyone would be a free agent.

But then on the other side, there would also be no paid expenses like airflight travel, hotel accomodations, physiotherapy and medical expenses, equipment expenses, etc. Everything and anything that isn't expressed in players contract is no longer covered.

I believe that you are correct on katz offering a dump of cash for Seth Jones, but then any team could do the same thing. In fact, there is nothing restricting any team from signing contracts to any players, regardless of age. So the Toronto Maple Leafs for example, could go out and sign every single ranked player from age 14 (or younger) and up if they so wished to do so.