View Single Post
Old
11-27-2012, 02:54 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Burmistrov is an interesting case. I am honestly not 100% sold that his being in the OHL two years ago and the AHL last season would have made any kind of difference in terms of his long term development. I am not sure what kind of offensive upside he has. His natural skill level is obvious to watch, but whether that will translate to results is pretty much impossible to know right now. His puck skills are definitely an asset but I am just not sure if that will translate to being a star forward. Where he falls long term is very much up in the air. We'll see what happens, it is too early to give up on him, but I am not sold that he will be the Datsyuk part 2 he was billed to be.

What is great about him though is his versatility. He can play all 3 forward positions, and should be able to contribute in a variety of roles, from potentially an offensive presences, to a puck control 3rd liner that can fill in on the PP and the top 6 as needed. Even if his top end potential never comes to pass he should be able to have a successful career.
I agree. I am a little more comfortable with him offensively though.

Quote:
I am not sold that he will be the Datsyuk part 2 he was billed to be.
Those comparisons were never fair, especially given his age. Datsyuk is one of the best players in the league and if he was so obviously Datsykian I think he would have gone earlier than #8. If I remember correctly, he wasn't even ranked as a top 10 domestic by Central Scouting.

Then again, Burmi was TINY when he played in Barrie. He was listed at 5'11, 157 lbs. and some suggested 157 lbs was a stretch. His current 6'0, 175 is actually a huge improvement. Can he put on another 15 to 20 lbs? Probably. He is still but a boy.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote