View Single Post
11-27-2012, 06:38 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I trust the words of the Russian posters on here to assess their own players, and they generally say that the KHL players that are at the tournament are among their very best. Am I wrong that Russia has been sending most of their optimal team? Also, I do believe that there are some elite KHL players, the people who call it a beer league are ignorant.

Bob Nicholson's job is to guide Canada to success in tournaments, I would expect him to be disappointed. The average person in the country is not going to share his feelings. The results are what they are, but the grain of salt I spoke of would refer to using those results to compare nations who are sending teams of differing strength proportionally. As far as it being bad, I guess we will just have to disagree that Canada has been bad, and also what that would mean.
No, I don't think you're wrong to say that Russian is not sending their optimal teams- they are. But they are also justifying it.

Whereas Canada doesn't send perhaps optimal rosters, but on paper they are still very good teams. The truth is the chances for Canadians playing a bad game at WC is higher for the reason that they have younger players, and players who are not prepared for the fierce competition that European teams bring. There are no camps, or selection tournaments and the result is 'on the wall'. It's no coincidence that Canada has struggled for a few years now. So the overall job the HC has done with regards to WC is bad.