View Single Post
Old
11-27-2012, 06:48 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I'm not sure the difference between the top players and the rest really decreased overall -- the average salary is currently $2.4M to a $1.4M median. Crosby would still be set to make $12 million in 2013-14 without a rollback. The TB model might have worked longer than it did, had they had the hindsight to frontload the Lecavalier, Richards and Boyle deals a la Zetterberg or other 2005 CBA deals.
$2.4 and $1.4, hmmm, thanks, thats not quite what i was expecting, Perhaps i am mixing up actual salary dollars paid which perhaps are being distributed rather similarly to before, with cap hit dollars, which for top ufa's, seem to have remained static since the start of the cba. Perhaps if the cycle were to mature, and there was as many on the backend of the long contracts with high cap hits but low actual dollars it would change a bit.

Looking at all Edmontons young guns, i guess the contracting changes will affect how long they can keep that team together. If they are all kept artificially a lot cheaper than their stats would warrant for a few years, (i guess we might call that circumventing the cap), well if only Ottawa knew back then that they could sign Spezza, Heatley and still get Chara. Perhaps what Ott and TB didnt take enough advantage of was the backdiving contracts.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote