Thread: KHL in 5 years?
View Single Post
Old
11-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Faterson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
To be honest, if the KHL stablizes itself and becomes a profitable league, I would expect it some where down the line that it will merge with the NHL. Which honestly, will only grow the league. I see the start of the first world league in sports. Will it happen in 5 years? Of course not, but in the future can definitely see it happening.
I'd be all in favour! But, of course Europeans would. It's mostly Canadians who would likely perceive it as an affront against the venerable traditions and trademarks of the NHL and the Stanley Cup. (Even though the term "NHL" is, strictly speaking, a misnomer even right now.)

My team Slovan Bratislava is playing @ Amur Khabarovsk tomorrow at 9 a.m. Yep, 9 a.m. on a Wednesday -- for Slovan fans back at home. For the players, it will be 7 p.m. Slovan's team had to cross 10 time zones to get to Khabarovsk, and the flight took 12 hours with a break in Novosibirsk along the way. As Slovak hockey fans observed, not a single NHL team is removed by 10 time zones from Slovan. It's "only" 6-9 time zones. Yet Slovan plays in a league with a team that is 10 time zones away from us. It would make more sense, strictly geographically speaking, for either Slovan or Amur to play against any NHL team tomorrow, than to play against one another. In fact, Amur Khabarovsk would more appropriately be placed in the NHL's Western Conference than where it is placed now, with most of their opponents located in far-away Europe.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote