View Single Post
Old
11-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
If 'wrestling skills' was all it was going to take to beat Anderson, Henderson or Sonnen could have employed that strategy.... rather easily. Both would have the upper hand on GSP if it was a wrestling match.
Both had some success, though. But both got caught too. It takes a good fighter to take advantage of a mistake, but it takes an even better fighter not to make a critical mistake against someone as good as Silva.

I've been following this thread for the last little while. An overall impression is that GSP's stand-up is underrated. He is a good technical striker with a pretty good array of strikes, and he's impressively punched and kicked some pretty good fighters. But I think the underestimating is largely his doing. He just doesn't want to fight like a striker. He's too cautious and too strategic. He seems to strike to set up other parts of his game plan, whether it's to go for a takedown, score points, or disrupt his opponent's range.

He doesn't strike (or at least hasn't seemed to in a while) to end the fight. As a result, I don't think other fighters fear him in that way. He can break an orbital bone or stun an opponent with a jab, but a lethal striker would I think always welcome a boxing match with GSP. Yes, he may get jabbed and leg-kicked, but he's just one strike away from winning the fight, which is an opportunity he likely will not get on the ground, especially as he would be likely fighting off his back.

You can bet (but no one would take you up on it) that Hendricks will focus a lot of his training on takedown defence and scrambles. GSP likes to takedown wrestlers. Being on his back is unnatural for a wrestler, which can have a heightened psychological effect of bullying. But I would want to see a GSP gameplan against Hendricks that deploys his striking to the utmost. So, turn it around, and use the threat of a takedown to set up a barrage of strikes, taking advantage of his footwork and messing with Hendrick's range. I think it would be a surprise and effective.

In any event, I think a GSP v Silva fight would be entertaining just for the contrast in styles. Silva is as natural a fighter as has ever been, but GSP's greatest attribute is his discipline -- he trains, studies and devises plans. While I think GSP could win, it would have to be a perfect fight, because Silva will kill with a single mistake. A flawless fight against someone as good as Silva is improbable, but GSP's discipline, I think, makes it possible.